The essence of this article is to help you on your research on Guidance and Counseling Meaning, History & its Importance in Nigeria education but before going ahead it is of great paramount that i give to you a brief introduction of Guidance and Counseling.
Look At Brief Guidance and Counseling Meaning
In my attempt to give you a concise of Guidance and Counseling Meaning, i have seen Guidance and Counseling as an integral component of the educational mission of the school any school, whose services and programs promote the personal/social, educational, and career development of all students.
To most African countries in which Nigeria is one, adopted Guidance and Counseling in the educational sector in order to modernize and enhance their social, economic and political development of the country. This is because counseling is being regarded by most nations as an educational service through which efficient manpower for development can be reached.A Brief
History of School Guidance and Counseling in Nigeria
The history of school Guidance and Counseling in Nigeria formally started as a result of efforts of a group of Catholic nuns at the St. Theresa’s College, Oke-Ado, Ibadan which led to the institutionalization of guidance and counseling in Nigerian school system.
The Catholic nuns developed a career workshop for all the school’s graduating students during the 1959 academic session, especially in the area of subject selection and job search. A major outcome of the workshop was the distribution of the much needed career information that enabled 54 out of the 60 graduating students to gain full employment upon their graduation from university.
It can also be recalled that the workshop concerning guidance and counseling which was held at the comprehensive high school, Aiyetoro in 1963 where Mr. R.O. Rees delivered a paper titled “The role of the guidance counselor in a comprehensive high school“ was also an instrument to the emergence of guidance and counseling in Nigeria.
Another great instrument towards the emergence of guidance and counseling in Nigeria, was the book written by Mr. C.I. Berepiki entitled, An approach to guidance in schools. This book inspired the Federal Government of Nigeria to develop a workshop on guidance and counseling in schools.
Importance or Benefits of Guidance and Counseling in Nigeria
There are so many benefits of guidance and counseling, but am going to introduce you to just six (6) i considered to be most important. The following are some of the benefits of guidance and counseling:
- It helps to given Students solutions on how to deal with psychological problems which might affect their studies. via this, the students are able to develop problem solving skills which to an extent helps them deal with particular issues surrounding their lives.
- Students are guided and counseled on how to cope with different situations facing them in their school life. For instance, on how to relate with their peers.
- It helps to shape a student’s behavior and instill discipline in students. Students who are guided and counseled in a right way tend to know what to do and how to do such things.
- Students get to learn how to live in harmony with others in the school community. In so doing, they also learn to appreciate the people around the and come to harmony with their environment.
- It bridges the gap between the students and the school administration,since can channel their problems through guidance and counseling office.
- Students get comprehensive pieces of advice on careers,courses and jobs which enables them to have an informed choice on what to do after school.
Use the Comment Box for questions or testimonies.