New Vehicle Registration: Have you just bought the vehicle which you have been dreaming of? congratulations, but just as Nigeria law have it, you cannot be able to cruise the car without going for new car Registration, so this is why it is important we show you how to register new vehicle in Nigeria.
The essence of this article on new vehicle registration, is to help save your new vehicle from the handles of Nigeria law enforcement agency whose work and dream is to catch who to impound their new car due to lack of its registration.
Documents Needed for New Car Registration In Nigeria
The following documents listed bellow are what you will require when you want to go and register your new car.
- Proof of ownership of the new car.
- Receipt or invoice of purchase.
- Attestation letter from the company of purchase.
- A valid and current driver’s license.
- National identity card or its equivalence.
- Current residential address
- Your passport photograph.
For a car that is newly imported into the country, the following should be added to the documents ;listed above, the following documents listed bellow should be added
- Tax Identification Number.
- Custom papers (This is to show that the car has been cleared by the customs duty).
- Motor vehicle Duty Certificate.
Procedures For New Vehicle Registration
- Go to state Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Licensing Authority (SBIR/MLA), there you are to pick up an allocation of plate Number form and fill in the details required.
- Make sure ti attach all necessary documents and submit.
- You will be required to fill some other forms the once listed bellow if the authority is satisfied.
- form for Allocation of Registration Number of new car.
- Auto vehicle License form
- Form Federal Road Safety Form (FRSC)
- Tax form
The forms after been well filled will be forwarded to the police officer who is assigned to the licensing officer for proper verification, when the verification is finished and the forms and documents satisfy the requirements, stamp and dates will be indicated on the forms.
After the normal verification, the next step is the payment for license plate number which is always done in the bank. This will cost you about #50,000 Naira depending on the kind of plate you would like to have.
Immediately after making your payment, if you present the receipt used to pay for the plate, it will be issued to you. Though this some times delays a bit. Along side the plate, you will also be given proof of ownership Certificate number, proof of ownership Certificate and vehicle Identification Tag (VIT).
Make sure to collect back all the original documents which you submitted earlier. The final step now is to buy insurance policy for your new car. This should be a third person insurance.
Now congratulations fully as your new vehicle is free to be moved to any part of the country.