Congratulations for your new car but there is need you know Nigeria Law on Vehicle Registration and steps to register new car in Nigeria, this is because your new vehicle will not be allowed to ply the Nigerian roads with full legal right without undergoing proper registration processes and proof of road worthiness.
So, it is a good thing you are already looking for the right way on how to register new vehicle in Nigeria, just follow the steps which we are going to state here to register it today to avoid being embarrassed by the law enforcement agency which might even lead to impoundment of your new car.
Nigeria Law on Vehicle Registration, like other corporate bodies in Nigeria requires that you posses some documents and also fulfill certain procedures to ensure hitch registration process. So clarify you on the steps you need for your new vehicle registration, I am going state all the basic processes required as also all the needed documents to ensure hassle free vehicle registration in Nigeria.
NOTE: Like we always advice people to make sure they understand this procedures very well before proceeding to the vehicle registration, so make sure that you read this post if possible more than twice before you proceed to avoid any mistake because you will meet so many things and people in the process, nobody can deceive you or eat your money unnecessarily if you already know what next to do as stated here.
Documents Required for vehicle registration in Nigeria:
Before proceeding to your vehicle registration in Nigeria, make sure that you already have all these documents which is listed bellow intact.
- A valid Driver’s License.
- Insurance Policy Number
- International passport, national identity card etc.
- Proof of Address (e.g. Utility Bill or NEPA Bill)
- Custom papers
- Engine number written out (not compulsory but necessary)
- Proof of Ownership
- Insurance papers
- Tax Identification Number (recently added nut not compulsory yet)
How Much is vehicle registration in Nigeria?
The cost of vehicle registration in Nigeria actually depends on the type of vehicle starting from Tricycle to truck or bulldozer. But in most cases like salon cars the price ranges from N45k – N50k at the time of this publication.
Now the next thing to do if you have met all the above stated criteria, then you have to proceed by following the procedures bellow.
- Visiting the Federal Road Safety Corp National Vehicle Identification System website at www.nvisng.org/VehicleReg.aspx and fill the online registration (MVA01) form,
- Print out the filled form and attach all relevant vehicle documents
- With the form and other documents go to SBIR/MLA (State Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Licensing Authority) office to collect allocation of plate number form, Plate number Tag, CMR and information required issued by the police.
- Pay for vehicle number plate at SBIR/MLA and collect your vehicle number plate.
- After that, take your vehicle to Vehicle inspection Office (VIO) for physical inspection and collect a Road worthiness certificate, if VIO is satisfied with the condition of the vehicle.
- Now go back to Road safety for the verification of documents provided. Here, the verified documents are Driver’s License: Insurance Policy Number, Means of Identification, and Proof of Address (e.g. Utility Bill or NEPA Bill)
At this point, you have finished all that about Vehicle Registration in Nigeria for haven met all the Nigeria Law on Vehicle Registration successfully. But you still need to go back to SBIR/MLA, to collect the following registered vehicle documents:
- Proof of Ownership Certificate (POC) number
- Proof of Ownership Certificate,
- Vehicle Number Plate
- Vehicle Identification Tag (VIT)
Use the comment box below to share your testimony.